http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/americas/07/23/ecuador.oil/index.html?iref=newssearch
This article details how the ecuadorian president, Rafael Correa, is trying to both boost his nations economy while also saving its environment. His plan for doing so is asking rich nations to pay him $350 million dollars a year in order to not tap over 1 million barrels worth of oil underneath his country. This is part of a carbon offset program endorsed by wealthy individuals all over the world, in which they pay money to countries to not exploit there resources. They pay the countries not to do so, so that the country doesnt lose any money by saving its environment. This relates to international development because the oil business is one of the most prevelant in the field, as well as one of the leading contributers to environmental problems around the world. I think its a great step for everyone everywhere, because no one really loses.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow, that is a really great idea I had not heard of before. I suppose it is similar to paying countries to save their rainforest habitats - paying more money than they would get if they cut the area down for grazing, etc. I think that is really great. It is too bad that corporations generally don't make profits from saving the environment...
Post a Comment