Friday, August 10, 2007
Nuclear Concerns in Pakistan
I've done a few blogs recently on Pakistan so I thought I might continue this trend with an update on some new worries concerning the country and its leader, President Pervez Musharraf. Earlier this week it was thought he might impose a state of emergency in order to keep himself in office, because it would give him a lot more powers. The government has since denied this, and it has not happened so far, so thats good. The reason Im blogging about this even though there have been no new developments in the issue is because this particular article raised a good question: what will happen to Pakistan's nukes under any course of action. The only solution to this situation that would not result in a major change in the nuclear program, as well as with our relations with the country based on that nuclear program, would be if he imposed no emergency state and won re-election in November. This would cause the situation to continue as is. If he were overthrown or killed before then by some form of coup, or if he were not re-elected in November, control of the nukes would go to someone yet unknown. This is a very scary thought because nukes are, obviously, serious business. There's nowhere Im trying to go with this, specifically, which might make it seem pointless that I even made this blog, but I just found this issue as one that should be considered by people who might be also watching the recent Pakistani developments closely as I am. I just thought it should be brought up
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment